- Please only include the information about the soundtrack of the movie itself, not soundtrack CDs/Score Cues/Trailers, etc, for the following reasons:
- Many times a movie soundtrack is not released on CD.
- The music released on an CD many times does not match the music in the movie.
- Sometimes, many different soundtrack CDs are released, each one with different music on them.
- The information should be exactly as its shown in the movie.
- Please note: Updates to this list can only be made from TITLE pages, not name pages.
- Please use the [link=person number] format to link to a name const. For more details on name linking please see the Linking names and titles in text based lists guide.
- Credits in this section are for songwriters, composers, lyricists, and the people who perform the songs/orchestral works written by them. This includes musicians and vocalists (whether by singing, humming, whistling, or other vocalizaton), but does not include dancers who do not vocally perform the song to which they dance. Such dance performances can be listed in the film’s Trivia section.
- Formatting: Each song should be a separate item. If your information does not conform to this format, try to find a similar entry in the soundtracks list and format yours like that. Songs should be formatted like the below example:"Title of Song"
Written by person(s)/group
Performed by person(s)/group
Please ensure each credit role is presented on a separate line. The following examples would not be well formatted and would be rejected:"Title of Song" Written by person(s)/group Performed by person(s)/group
or"Title of Song"
Written by person(s)/group Performed by person(s)/group
Examples of credited soundtrack info:Performer not listed with linked names:
"Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
Written by [link=nm0636413] and [link=nm0903117]
Performer not listed:
"Take Me Out to the Ballgame"
Written by Jack Norworth and Albert von Tilzer
Credit includes company information:
"Its All Right"
Written by Curtis Mayfield
Performed by The Impressions
Courtesy of MCA Records
Credited name not on IMDb (no linking possible):
"Hippy Hippy Shake"
Written by Robert L. Romero
Performed by The Swinging Blue Jeans
Courtesy of EMI Records, USA, A Division of ERG
Under License from CEMA Special Markets
Credited name differs from IMDb name (include as details):
Performed by Jeffrey Wright
Written by Robert Johnson (as Robert Leroy Johnson) & Muddy Waters (as McKinley Morganfield)
Published by MPCA King of Spades Music, Claud L. Johnson
Administered by MPCA LLC and Watertoons Music
Administered by Bug
Data includes featuring credit:
"Safe & Sound"
Written by Taylor Swift, John Paul White, Joy Williams and T-Bone Burnett (as T Bone Burnett)
Performed by Taylor Swift featuring The Civil Wars
Produced by T-Bone Burnett (as T Bone Burnett)
Linking: The top example illustrates the correct way to link names to entries in the database, using [link=person number] format. Please avoid splitting name linked entries over lines as this will break the software that creates the hyperlinks. For example:Written by [link=
nm0636413] and [link=nm0903117]
orWritten by [link=nm0636413]
should always be formatted as:Written by [link=nm0636413] and [link=nm0903117]
Do not link any names appearing in a "courtesy of" line (e.g., John Doe appears courtesy of Foo Records). If the composer is credited in a different way to how they are displayed on IMDb, please include this information, as shown in the final example above. Titles can also be linked; see this guide for details. Companies cannot be linked at this time, sorry.
TV Episodes: As of 2013, episode-level soundtrack listings are used for songs unique to a particular episode, as well as songs used in every episode (e.g. theme or closing songs). The latter should also be added at the series level. Uncredited soundtracks: If a song is heard, but not listed in an onscreen credit or announced, then the title should be marked "(uncredited)", like this:"Dancing Queen" (uncredited) Written by ...
Uncredited artists: If the song is named, but other details are not provided, then the names of the composers and/or performers, if they can be determined via other sources, can themselves be marked (uncredited). Uncredited singalongs: If a song is sang along to by cast members, add that information inside square brackets at the end of the submission and [link=person number] the name(s) and mark as uncredited, e.g."I Wanna Rock" Written by Dee Snider Performed by Twisted Sister [sung along to by Paulo Costanzo (uncredited) as it plays on the radio]
Where does the song appear?: Note that brief phrases can optionally be used to indicate where a song is heard. This information should be concise and clear inside square brackets, should not include spoilers, and should not end with a period. e.g.:"Take Me Out to the Ballgame" Written by Jack Norworth and Albert von Tilzer [Played during the seventh inning stretch of the Dodgers game]
Ordering: The ordering for Soundtrack items should reflect the appearance of the song name in the end credits. Where credits are listed in more than one column, the order depends. If the list scrolls up the screen (rather than appearing as standalone cards), then the order goes across the rows. If there is an obvious order, such as alphabetic, appearance, or importance, then follow that. If there is no obvious order, then read across the rows before reading down the columns, the same as with scrolling credits. If a song name is not mentioned at all in the end credits then it should have an order number of 0 i.e. zero.
You can now track the status of your Soundtracks submission and if it has not been approved, we'll tell you the reason why.
If you are using the mobile apps, mobile website or desktop website you can access this feature via the 'Track your contribution' button, which has been added to the submission email receipt. Additionally, if you are using the desktop website, you can also use the 'Track Contribution' button now found in your contribution history page.
Clicking this button will take you to IMDb Contributor, our new contribution specific site where you will be shown the status of your request.