Please use the current names of locations (regardless of when the title was filmed, i.e. St. Petersburg, Russia not Leningrad, Russia).
- Major cities and all country names are in English; smaller cities and locations can be listed in their native language.
- Locations examples:
Los Angeles, California, USA
Roosevelt Hotel, Hollywood, California, USA
Sierra Madre Playhouse, 87 West Sierra Madre Boulevard, Sierra Madre, California, USA
NBC Studios - 3000 W. Alameda Avenue, Burbank, California, USA
New York City, New York, USA
Elgin Theatre, 175 Eighth Avenue, New York City, New York, USA
Triangle T Guest Ranch - 4190 Dragoon Road, Dragoon, Arizona, USA
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
London, England, UK
Westminster, London, England, UK
St. Petersburg, Russia
- Please don't over elaborate location descriptions, i.e. use the normal 'in country'/postal definition of the location (but don't include any zip/area code or PO box information).
Bear in mind that it is ideal for people to be able to find all the movies shot in a specific location (i.e. Mont Saint-Michel, Manche, France) , so having many variations does not help.
We find that most people submit the simple version.
Therefore, while detailed locations (i.e. Mont Saint-Michel, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France) may be factually correct, we favor the simple versions.
Please do not bulk-correct simple locations to elaborate locations.
Similarly, please do not delete broad locations from titles if there is a more specific location listed, as they help with searching for all movies.
Example: "French Alps, France" is still a useful location (related search: http://www.imdb.com/search/title), even if more specific locations are also listed: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139371/locations
- A list of the locations currently being used can be displayed by clicking on the gray list icon ( ) next to the location field. A similar browser is available for the attribute field. Wherever possible, please use an existing IMDb location description as a starting point/guide for any new location being submitted.
- This list is for filming locations, i.e. where the filming took place and not necessarily the location portrayed in the movie - so do not add things like Mars for a science-fiction movie set there.
- Locations can be submitted if identified, regardless if they appeared in the title credits (credited or uncredited).
- In the past, studio locations were not accepted for this list, but they should now be included; please use the attributes field to note this as (studio). Only include studios where original live-action footage was shot, not green-screen or effects work.
- Please fill in details in the attribute field to help us pin-point where in the title the location was is represented, i.e. from Back to the Future (1985):
Location: 1711 Bushnell Avenue, South Pasadena, California, USA
Attribute: (George McFly's house)
- If a location is being presented as either another real-world location or has been given a fictional name in the production, then such information can also be captured using an (as .......) attribute.
Back to top