Please use the current names of locations (regardless of when the title was filmed, i.e. St. Petersburg, Russia not Leningrad, Russia).
- Major cities and all country names are in English; smaller cities and locations can be listed in their native language.
- Locations examples:
Los Angeles, California, USA
Roosevelt Hotel, Hollywood, California, USA
Sierra Madre Playhouse, 87 West Sierra Madre Boulevard, Sierra Madre, California, USA
NBC Studios - 3000 W. Alameda Avenue, Burbank, California, USA
New York City, New York, USA
Elgin Theatre, 175 Eighth Avenue, New York City, New York, USA
Triangle T Guest Ranch - 4190 Dragoon Road, Dragoon, Arizona, USA
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain
London, England, UK
Westminster, London, England, UK
St. Petersburg, Russia
- Please don't over elaborate location descriptions, i.e. use the normal 'in country'/postal definition of the location (but don't include any zip/area code or PO box information).
Bear in mind that it is ideal for people to be able to find all the movies shot in a specific location (i.e. Mont Saint-Michel, Manche, France) , so having many variations does not help.
We find that most people submit the simple version.
Therefore, while detailed locations (i.e. Mont Saint-Michel, Manche, Basse-Normandie, France) may be factually correct, we favor the simple versions.
Please do not bulk-correct simple locations to elaborate locations.
Similarly, please do not delete broad locations from titles if there is a more specific location listed, as they help with searching for all movies.
Example: "French Alps, France" is still a useful location (related search: http://www.imdb.com/search/title), even if more specific locations are also listed: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0139371/locations
- A list of the locations currently being used can be displayed by clicking on the gray list icon ( ) next to the location field. A similar browser is available for the attribute field. Wherever possible, please use an existing IMDb location description as a starting point/guide for any new location being submitted.
- This list is for filming locations, i.e. where the filming took place and not necessarily the location portrayed in the movie - so do not add things like Mars for a science-fiction movie set there.
- Locations can be submitted if identified, regardless if they appeared in the title credits (credited or uncredited).
- In the past, studio locations were not accepted for this list, but they should now be included; please use the attributes field to note this as (studio). Only include studios where original live-action footage was shot, not green-screen or effects work.
- Please fill in details in the attribute field to help us pin-point where in the title the location was is represented, i.e. from Back to the Future (1985):
Location: 1711 Bushnell Avenue, South Pasadena, California, USA
Attribute: (George McFly's house)
- If a location is being presented as either another real-world location or has been given a fictional name in the production, then such information can also be captured using an (as .......) attribute.
Tracking your contribution
You can now track the status of your Locations submission and if it has not been approved, we'll tell you the reason why.
If you are using the mobile apps, mobile website or desktop website you can access this feature via the 'Track your contribution' button, which has been added to the submission email receipt. Additionally, if you are using the desktop website, you can also use the 'Track Contribution' button now found in your contribution history page.
Clicking this button will take you to IMDb Contributor,
our new contribution specific site where you will be shown the status of your request.