How can I combine two IMDb filmography pages?
This article provides answers to questions: "I have two accounts, how can I merge them?", "I have two profiles, how can I combine them?", "you have two pages for the same person, how can I merge them?", "person has two pages, how can they be combined".
- This article refers to combining name pages/filmographies. By "two accounts" people often refer to "two name pages" on IMDb. If you have created two accounts (i.e. registered twice on IMDb with two different emails), see this help article about how to handle.
- Please only submit a name merge if you are sure that all data on both name pages belong to the same person. If data is mixed up you will need to move each item separately (for help with this process we recommend visiting Get Satisfaction).
- If a name page looks empty and you think a duplicate page was created incorrectly, merging is the preferred way to get rid of the empty name. IMPORTANT: A name page can only be considered 'empty' if it does not contain any bio, credits, Resume, photos or Contact data - some of which you cannot see or access unless you are an IMDbPro member. If you don't have an IMDbPro member, check for a More at IMDb Pro section - if a name page has links to Contact Info or Clients etc, the page isn't empty and you shouldn't merge it.
If you're sure all data belongs to the same person or that the name page is completely empty, before submitting a name merge you'll need to determine which name is correct, or which is to be the "primary name".
- If a person has worked under two or more names, their primary name should be the one used most often, unless they have chosen to use a particular name for all work in the future.
- In this case, let's assume the primary name is X. You would go to the listing for name Y (the incorrect or less common name) and click Edit Page.
- Choose Name Correction or Merge from the list of options
- Enter name X in the box, in reversed form (e.g., Doe, John). If there is more than one person with the same name, be sure to include the proper Roman numeral (e.g., "Doe, John (I)" ).
- If person X also used name Y in some credits, you should leave the Preserve previous name on existing credits check box underneath ticked. If name Y was a typo and did not appear on screen, or you are correcting a mis-transliteration, untick the check box. Include an explanation in the box provided.
- You'll see a warning that you are combining two names. Since that is what you wanted to do, you should check the box acknowledging the warning. If you've unticked the Preserve previous name on existing credits check box you'll also need to acknowledge that you know what you're doing. The rest of the process proceeds as normal.
Please note that the updates may happen in stages, which can mean that some credits may disappear for a day or two while the merge is being processed.
You may also want to review our name submission guide.