Pro tips for Filmmakers
Directors, Producers, and Screenwriters
Get the information you need to prepare for your next release, discover talent, showcase and find distribution for your projects, keep track of other projects, and connect with other industry professionals.
Contact information: Quickly look up and contact people you want to work with. If you already have representation, be sure to add your rep information, so that other industry professionals can get in touch with you. If you don’t have a rep yet, you can add your direct contact information so you don’t miss any opportunities.
- Pro Tips:
- Connect: IMDbPro helps you connect with representation and contact information for over 300,000 industry professionals (this information is not available on IMDb.com).
- Keep your contact information up to date: Tens of thousands of industry decision makers (including casting directors) use IMDbPro every day to discover, research and contact crew -- maintaining updated contact and representation information is critical for your career.
- Share your IMDbPro page: Easily share your page with others, including non-IMDbPro members, so you can show your complete resume and other details to people you want to work with. Your IMDbPro card can be downloaded and shared in social media sites (such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) or emails. We also provide a link to the profile page, anyone using the link can access the IMDbPro profile page for 7 days after it has been opened.
Industry research: IMDbPro is the most complete entertainment resource with millions of data points added on a daily basis. As a member, you get access to the most up-to-date details and information for filmmakers, crew, cast, entertainment companies and employees, release details, filming locations, technical specs, box office data, industry news, media, and titles in all stages of production, including projects in pre-production, production, and post-production status with extra information not available on IMDb.com. Depending on the status of the title, listings will have comprehensive details, including company credits, distributors, plot summary, synopsis, filmmakers, crew, cast, release details, filming locations, technical specs, box office, and media.
We are pleased to announce an updated Box Office section for titles on IMDbPro and the IMDbPro app. This section is powered by Box Office Mojo, for the most comprehensive and accurate data available. Members can view weekly or daily box office data and filter by region or specific release to confidently position your project for success.
- Pro Tip: Use these data points to prepare for a meeting, find and connect with talent, crew, and distributors, seek representation, gather details from comparable projects, and estimate film budgets and finances. Visit our sister site Box Office Mojo for additional industry leading box office reporting.
Box Office: IMDbPro app
Box Office: IMDbPro site
Showcase your projects:
- Add trailers & other videos: Showcase your project by adding trailers, clips, and promotional videos to the project’s IMDb page.
- Pro Tip: Apply for free to IMDb Scorecard and start adding your trailers and other videos to your project’s page to get your audience excited.
- Add posters and stills: Engage your audience by adding posters, production stills and publicity and event images. As an IMDb user you can upload for free an unlimited number of images to your project’s IMDb page.
Find distribution for your project: Search IMDbPro’s extensive database of companies in the entertainment industry to find a distributor for your project.
- Pro Tip: Look up titles similar to yours and see who distributed them. And see the films a company has distributed and has in production to determine if a distribution company is right for your project.
- Pro Tips: Benefit from IMDb’s products and connected companies:
- Ready to distribute? Make your film available through Prime Video Direct in the U.S. and other locations - on all supported devices - Fire TV, phones, tablets, game consoles, Smart TVs and from the Web. Prime Video Direct is helping content creators and visual storytellers reach millions of Prime Video customers.
Discover talent: Find the right talent for your roles by searching our database of more than 7 million people.
- Pro Tip: Use advanced search filters such as STARmeter, performance skills, physical attributes including ethnic appearance, languages spoken, accents, birthplace, work eligibility, union affiliation, and more, to home in on the right match for your role.
Contact information: Quickly look up and contact the talent’s reps to check their availability. From celebrities to aspiring talent, we cover the whole range.
- Pro Tips:
- Connect: IMDbPro helps you get your job done with representation and contact information for over 300,000 industry professionals (this information is not available on IMDb.com).
- Keep your contact information up to date: Don’t forget to claim your page and keep your own contact information up to date too. Maintaining updated contact and representation information is critical for your career.
Talent power: STARmeter, Awards and Box Office data are valuable data points on IMDbPro or on sister site Box Office Mojo.
- Pro Tip: With a few clicks you can review these and include them in the talent portfolio details you showcase to your working partners.
Create breakdowns & post casting notices: You can directly book talent by creating breakdowns in the Casting Notices section. Submissions are received in the form of IMDbPro profile pages.
- Pro Tips:
- Creative Lists: Use our Find Matches feature to generate a list of profiles based on the criteria you select. To add talent from your ‘Find Matches’ results to your Creative List, select ‘Add to creative list’.
- People lists: Another way to organize talent you are considering is with the customized list building feature, by selecting “Add to list” on a person’s page.
- Share your IMDbPro pages and lists with non-IMDbPro members: IMDbPro pages and lists can easily be shared with others, including non-IMDbPro members, so you can collaborate with your colleagues. Click on the Share link at the top right of your page to share it.
Manage your IMDb page: Claim your IMDb page, or create a new page if you don’t have one yet. Your page can be claimed during the initial sign up process, or by clicking on your name in the upper-right corner at any time. By claiming your page, you will be able to manage your page via IMDbPro-only features, including uploading images, and setting the primary image for your page. Once your page is claimed, update your resume.
- Pro Tips:
- Add images: Having images on your page increases the time people spend on your page, so this is key for everyone behind the camera as well as on screen talent.
- Complete your profile to stand out: Highlight key information like guild affiliations and awards that makes you stand out in the entertainment industry to a vast network of industry professionals.
Select your “Known For” credits: Select and showcase the credits for the projects you would like to prominently feature. This may include work that you feel your fans and others in the entertainment industry know you best for, projects that you are most proud of, or your most relevant/recent work. Updates go live within 24 hours and you can change your selection as often as you like.
- Pro Tip: Your “Known For” credits provide people who view your page an at-a-glance reference so they can easily see what you have worked on. The credits are displayed in several places across the IMDb sites and products including search results, STARmeter lists, and your page across IMDb, IMDbPro, and Prime Video.
Get insights: Use STARmeter , MOVIEmeter, and COMPANYmeter and Ratings breakdown data to make decisions on your project. As an IMDbPro member you get advanced insights and analysis for meter details, which include rank movement and tracking over time. You can find these details in an easy-to-use chart format that can be filtered based on month, year, frequency, scale, and release events.
- Pro Tip: This data is extremely helpful when pitching your project, researching companies to produce & distribute your film, considering competitive analysis, and negotiating talent contracts.
24/7 Customer Service: Your IMDbPro membership includes email support. Our Customer Service team responds to most queries within 24 hours, 7 days/week (excluding holidays).
If you have further questions about making the most out of your IMDbPro membership, please visit the Contact Us page while logged into your IMDbPro account and select IMDbPro member questions > Claim your IMDb page (if you are logged out of your IMDbPro account, please select IMDbPro member questions > Sign up to IMDbPro > Membership benefits & Pro tips), then select "Email" and let us know how we can help.