Pro tips for Talent
Build your perfect IMDb page, find representation, submit to new projects, connect with industry players, and conduct research so you land your next audition and are prepared for your next role.
Manage your IMDb page: Claim your IMDb page, or create a new page if you don’t have one yet. You need to be an IMDbPro member with a claimed page to upload headshots and other images and set the primary image for your page.
- Pro Tip: Having images on your page increases the time people spend on your page, so this is critical for any aspiring or established talent.
Bear in mind that casting directors using the site can (and often do) exclude profiles without headshots in their search -- make sure you are included.
Showcase your best images: Select which of your images are featured across IMDb, IMDbPro and Amazon Video. More information about featured images.
- Pro Tip: Use IMDbPro to showcase yourself to hundreds of millions of fans and industry insiders that visit IMDb and Amazon Video every month.
Amazon X-Ray for Movies and TV:
- Pro Tip: Is one of your roles billed in a popular film or series available on Amazon Video? Check out the Amazon X-Ray feature, powered by IMDb, to find out if your name and role are mentioned on screen when people stream the title on Amazon Video.
Select your “Known For” credits: Select and showcase the credits for the projects you would like to prominently feature. This may include work that you feel your fans and others in the entertainment industry know you best for, projects that you are most proud of, or your most relevant/recent work. Updates go live within 24 hours and you can change your selection as often as you like.
- Pro Tip: Your “Known For” credits provide people who view your page an at-a-glance reference so they can easily see what you have worked on. The credits are displayed in several places across the IMDb sites and products including search results, STARmeter lists, and your page across IMDb, IMDbPro, and Amazon Video.
Show what you can do with videos: Upload demo reels to showcase your talent.
- Pro Tip: Sometimes you are not immediately available for an audition and time is of the essence for casting professionals. Your uploaded videos allow casting directors to quickly review your style and range so you increase your chances to get cast or called in for an audition.
Find representation and show your contact information: Find the right rep for you, by doing research on IMDbPro (representation information is not available on IMDb.com). If you already have representation, be sure to add your rep information, so that other industry professionals can get in touch with you. If you don’t have a rep yet, you can add your direct contact information so you don’t miss any opportunities.
- Pro Tips:
- Keep your contact information up to date: Tens of thousands of industry decision makers (including casting directors) use IMDbPro every day to discover, research and contact talent -- maintaining updated contact and representation information is critical for your career.
- How to find representation: A key way people find the best fit for them is by looking up on IMDbPro the representation of people in their industry and area of focus. For example, if you are a comedic actress, you may look up female comedians you admire, who’ve had a trajectory you want to follow and look up their reps. Or if you are an actor or actress with dancing and martial arts skills, search for similar profiles and see who their reps are, as a starting point for reps to contact.
- Share your IMDbPro page with non-IMDbPro members: Easily share your page with others, including non-IMDbPro members, so you can show your complete resume and other details to people you want to work with. Click on the Share link at the top right of your page to share it.
- Your own IMDb internet address: With an IMDbPro membership you can create your custom IMDb Vanity URL (formatted IMDb.me/YourName), to help market yourself when sharing your contact details on websites, resumes, and business cards.
Find your next project: As an IMDbPro member, you get the most up-to-date details and information for titles in all stages of production. This includes projects in-development, pre-production, production, and post-production status with extra information not available on IMDb.com -- a good starting point to find your next project.
- Pro Tips:
- Track projects: Follow titles from the moment they are announced by adding them to a list and connect with filmmakers, casting directors, and other industry contacts to identify roles that may be associated with the project.
- Find the team: Established filmmakers tend to work with the same team once they find a winning combination. If an in-development title doesn't have the complete details listed yet, look through the filmmaker filmographies to identify people they may have consistently worked with on previous projects and try connecting with them.
- Connect via shared credits: Use “Our Shared Credits” and “Shared People Connections” when viewing someone else’s IMDbPro page, to find common connections with other industry professionals and expand your network, to set yourself up for future opportunities. This is an indispensable tool that leverages IMDb’s extensive database of linked people and projects to help you network throughout your career.
- Get work via casting notices: Another way to find work is to apply directly to roles posted in the Casting Notices section. New notices are posted daily and you can find opportunities for feature films, television series, student films, and more. You can refine your search with advanced filters, which include details such as union status, location, role type, and demographic details. When you're ready to apply, simply click "Apply Now" and your IMDbPro profile will be submitted directly to the casting director or filmmaker. Casting notices are mobile optimized so you can apply from anywhere, anytime, on almost any device.
Get discovered by showing up in more searches: Adding credits and detailed resume information so you can be discovered on the world's #1 entertainment site. As an IMDbPro member, you can add additional types of projects you would like to highlight like plays, commercials, audiobook voice overs, infomercials, dance and hosting gigs, print ads, modeling jobs.
- Pro Tip: Tens of thousands of industry decision makers (including casting directors) use IMDbPro every day to discover, research and contact talent. With over 90 million credits, IMDb is the most complete and authoritative entertainment resource of credits. To help casting directors find you via IMDbPro’s advanced search, fill in information like performance skills, training, physical attributes including ethnic appearance, languages spoken, accents, birthplace, work eligibility, union affiliation and more.
STARmeter: As an IMDbPro member you get advanced insights and analysis for meter details, which include rank movement and tracking over time. You can find these details in an easy-to-use chart format that can be filtered based on month, year, frequency, scale, and release events.
- Pro Tip: You can use these insights to help gain representation, market yourself, and research others.
Industry research: IMDbPro is the most complete entertainment resource with millions of data points added on a daily basis. As a member, you get access to the most up-to-date details and information for filmmakers, crew, cast, entertainment companies and employees, release details, filming locations, technical specs, box office data, industry news, media, and titles in all stages of production, including projects in pre-production, production, and post-production status with extra information not available on IMDb.com.
- Pro Tips:
- Use these data points: To prepare for a meeting, identify upcoming opportunities, study filmographies for established talent, seek representation. Visit our sister site Box Office Mojo for additional industry leading box office reporting.
- Do you wear multiple hats as an Actor, Writer, and/or Filmmaker? If so, here are some ways you can benefit from IMDb’s products and connected companies:
- Indie filmmaker? Join the independent filmmaking community for free and be discovered on Withoutabox, where you can submit your project to the world’s leading film festivals. Sundance, TIFF, SIFF, and other world renowned festivals use Withoutabox as their first source to discover talented indie filmmakers.
- Ready to distribute? Via Withoutabox, you can post to IMDb and publish through Amazon Video Direct. Create IMDb title pages in just one step using existing information from your Withoutabox project. Make your film available through Amazon Video Direct in the U.S. and other locations - on all supported devices - Fire TV, phones, tablets, game consoles, Smart TVs and from the Web. Amazon Video Direct is helping content creators and visual storytellers reach millions of Amazon Video customers.
- Bold story ideas? Amazon Studios is working with visionary storytellers to produce bold, original films. Everyone from aspiring writers to WGA members can submit ideas online, no strings attached. If your movie could become somebody's favorite film, they're looking for you.
- Voice talent? Head over to Audible’s ACX to pick up narrator jobs for audiobooks. Through ACX, you can find an unlimited number of potential acting gigs, and the audiobooks you produce will be available on Audible, Amazon, and iTunes. Don’t forget to add your narrator credits to your resume!
- Author? Self-publish eBooks and paperbacks for free with Kindle Direct Publishing, and reach millions of readers on Amazon.
24/7 Customer Service: Your IMDbPro membership includes email support. Our Customer Service team responds to most queries within 24 hours, 7 days/week (excluding holidays).